Since 1 October 2008 a landlord needs to provide an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) whenever a home in the social or private rented sector is let to a new tenant.

The Landlord epc certificate is only required for a property which is self-contained. It is not required when a tenant rents a room and shares facilities, where a tenant has a separate contract with the landlord. 

The EPC and recommendation report must be made available free of charge by a landlord to a prospective tenant at the earliest opportunity and no later than:

  • When any written information about the building is provided in response to a request for information received from the prospective tenant; or
  • When a viewing is conducted; or
  • If neither of those occur, before entering into a contract to sell or let.

EPCs are valid for 10 ten years and can be reused as many times as required within that period. If a newer EPC is produced within the ten year period, only the most recent one is valid.

The only person who is able to produce an Energy Performance Certificate is an accredited energy assessor.

Please note -  This EPC is no different than a Domestic EPC that is supplied with a HIP, which means if you decide to terminate your contract with a tenant or the tenants contract is up and you decide to sell the property you can order your HIP without the EPC as the original epc can be put into the HIP.

You do NOT have to order a new EPC for the hip.